Friday, 19 May 2017

Zero Waste when Life's in Crisis Mode

Life has a habit of throwing crisis our way that we would never expect, even though in some instances it is not the case and some situations just seem to brew at the back of our minds for ages and ages before coming to the fore. This counts also for people and things. One day that very treasured item that has seen you through each day might get lost or stolen or break down and people enter and leave our lives as we go through the journey of life, some bringing joy and others despair, whilst we hope to move on every day to a better place.

I am not trying to turn philosophical on my readers. I would rather write my usual humorous take on something or other than be about to tell you that I have no new vlog post or conclusions on my Zero-Waste experiments to share, nor new film reviews either. Life has, in fact, thrown me into crisis mode and whilst as always I am not open to discussing my personal life on this blog, it is unavoidable to confess to at least this fact whilst apologising for not having any material to share. However just as any crisis will help us find our instincts and survive, so has it shown me how the usual topics of my conversations fit (or not) into my most basic life.

I started out my Zero Waste experiment trying to reduce as much as possible on my family's trash. On one trip to Lidl just after I made up my mind to record my findings, I browsed through the isles selecting a net of tomatoes over the ones packed in a tray (they were probably cheaper too) and chose to buy the 500gr tubs of yogurt over a larger quantity of the smaller servings. My reasoning was to save some plastic, which in theory would make sense. However, my 500gr tub of yogurt lasted less than the 3 days over which I should have spread it and I ended up eating more than my fair portion, which used to be 150gr daily. Not only did it throw me off my diet but also didn't seem to make much sense in terms of daily plastic waste as a result. Thinking about it, it might even have turned out to be more costly in terms of my daily expense.



Meanwhile, in true hippie fashion, I was trying to reduce waste at home also by saving anything compostable to give my son for the school compost bin. So all my teabags (I'm a heavy tea drinker), egg shells, apple, banana and potato shavings, went into packs in the fridge to send on to the school. I was surprised that my son seemed to be the only one in the class to keep this up through the first two terms. Well, roll around the third term and my now crisis-mode home management system and even I forgot all about the daily ritual of storing rather than throwing away. To be honest, and I'm sure the Zero Waste community will hate me for this, I was relieved to have something less on my mind.



Ok so I do not have enough findings about the experiment to write a good long article highlighting the good and the bad, especially since I had to stop mid-way through my hands-on research. However I did get a fitting conclusion to how Zero Waste figures in my life:

I will forever try to help our planet by being more attentive to how what I buy and eat and throw away will affect it. However, I don't think I will ever be ready to put it at the top of my list of things that I care for in the way that Minimalism has so snuggly fit in. But that is the topic for my next post.


No comments:

Post a Comment