Sunday, 23 July 2017

Getting To Know Myself - Through Other People's Eyes

Hello again and welcome to another post about my lately very-interesting life. Well, I say very interesting because I have been learning a lot about myself in the past few weeks. It seems that being single gives you the breathing space to get to terms with yourself and even get to know yourself some more, sometimes especially through other people's eyes.

To explain what I mean I must confess that I felt more of an attaché than a person in my own right through the years of being in a serious relationship. It didn't help that I was first dating and then married to someone who was better-known and more influential than myself wherever we went and with whoever we met, as well as that I slowly found myself willingly retreating into a submissive post. Which makes me wonder why I anyway hate being single when I felt that way for so long.

But back to the original idea of getting to know myself better, it all started with that I have over the past months, in acquiring back my status as person rather than one-of-two, become much more sociable. I have made new friends as well as becoming more friendly with my colleagues, as if finally coming out of my shell really. So here are some things that I learnt about myself through other people's comments:

- I apparently care too much. About everyone, and everything. A friend correctly told me, more than once, that I should 'just do my thing' and well, if the other people fit into it, well and good, otherwise no prob!

- And I think too much too, about every little detail and every word. I put too much effort into analysing even a passing comment and generally upset myself or worry too much for nothing as a result.

- I am a dreamer (well, I used to know this before life got in the way but thanks to a new aquaintence who noticed it in the first week we met, I now know just to what extent I am so, hehe!)

- I am a planner. I was told this by two people who do not know each other, both in the first week that I got to know them. Now I never had thought about it before though I do plan each minute detail of my life wherever I can (and often get disappointed as a result).

- I am annoying. Yes, this last took some time to digest and I even got upset at the person who said it to me. But, in the end, I went through all our interactions in my head and he was right, I can be very annoying, hehe. Thanks for pointing it out dear!

That about sums up some character traits of my own that I have been mulling over. I would mention the people who suggested them by name but not everyone is like me and enjoys seeing their name written down (yet another character trait of mine). So I leave you tonight with hopefully a more clear picture of who I am, in a blog that somehow seems to be turning more personal. Good night to all, until next time.

No comments:

Post a Comment