Sunday, 10 September 2017

Happiness

From https://www.theodysseyonline.com/
happiness-is-your-right-claim-it
As I have mentioned of late, I am currently starting out my new life as a single woman. It has given me food for thought and I went through a whole process of finding myself all over again and with that, discovered all the things that make me who I am. One of the things I much enjoyed previous to settling down in a relationship and routine had been writing and speaking different languages. So lately, given a certain twist of fate, I found myself rediscovering the Italian language in all its beauty. Knowing we are learning and practicing something for our own well-being and personal fulfilment rather than just for exams makes it all the sweeter and usually helps us strive more towards that achievement. So I decided today to share with you a paragraph I wrote in Italian to practice my writing. Unfortunately the person who was meant to edit it never returned the text to me with any adjustments so forgive me for any errors of spelling or grammar. Meanwhile, for those who do not understand Italian, I have included a translation to English just below it.



La Felicità


Se qualcuno mi chiedesse, “Cos’è la felicità?”, io direi che non c’è modo di quantificarla o descriverla veramente. Però se ci devo propio, allora direi, essere felici è una passeggiata lungo il mare, o forse è il canto degli angeli nel celo; quel canto che si sente quando c’è l’amore nella vita, quando ci sono amici che sai non ti lasceranno mai, che ti terranno la mano quando ce n’è bisogno e asciugano le lacrime quando tutto va male. La felicità è nell’ essere genitore, vedere crescere i propri figli, dovunque siano, lontani o vicini. Si sente la felicità infatti nell’ essere parte di una famiglia, nell’ abbraccio della madre, anche quando siamo digà adulti. Ci sono tante versioni dell’essere felici, ed è diverso per tutti l’idea di che ci farebbe di più felice nel mondo. Pero credo che dopo tutto, qualunque risposta darei a questa domanda, quella più corretta sarebbe a dire, “È l’amore, in tutti i suoi veli diversi, che è la vera risposta per la felicità.”




From http://brucerosenstein.com/the-summer-of-happiness/


Happiness


If anyone were to ask me, "What is happiness?", I would say that there is no way in which if can be quantified or described properly. But if I really had to do that, I would say, being happy is a walk along the coast, or maybe the song of the angels in the sky; the song that one can hear when there is love in one's life, when there are friends that you know will be there for you always, who will hold your hand when you need it and dry your tears when everything seems to go wrong. Happiness is being a parent, seeing your children grow, wherever they are, be they far or near. In fact happiness is felt when one belongs to a family, in a mother's embrace, even after we grow into adulthood. There are many versions of happiness and each one of us has a different idea of what would make them the happiest person possible. However after all, whatever reply I give to this question, the correct one will always be to say, "It is love, in all its different forms, that is the true key to happiness."

No comments:

Post a Comment